Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Rutabaga


UPDATE: A lot of people seemed interested in this odd dish, so I decided to put up a recipe. Here you go!

1 rutabaga
1 egg
1 tbl flour
1 tblsp brown sugar
a hint of salt, black pepper, and nutmeg

Add these ingredients to the boiled rutabaga and mash it all together with a mixer. Finally, put it in a casserole dish and bake it in the oven at 375 degrees for 45 minutes to an hour. 

Also, here's a better picture of what the dish looks like: 
from http://www.saarioinen.fi/arjessa_mukana/joulun_aikaan/?kategoriaid=Joulu&reseptiid=118
from http://www.primalocity.com/

The holidays are upon us, and I wish you all a happy Thanksgiving with a picture of a giant rutabaga.

You may think that rutabaga is a non sequitur when it comes to Thanksgiving. I am here to tell you, however, that it is not, at least not in my family. Rutabaga is a staple of my family's Thanksgiving meal. 

Rutabaga, a root vegetable that is kind of orange on the inside and quite soft when cooked, is a tradition in my family. There has been rutabaga on the table at every Thanksgiving that I remember, and my mother tells me that she had rutabaga at every Thanksgiving when she was little, too. She says, "It's like our soul food." 

I'm pretty sure that this has something to do with my Finnish heritage. According to Wikipedia, rutabaga did originate in Scandinavia. Rutabaga also has high amounts of vitamin C. Since nothing grows in Finland, rutabaga was probably the only way to keep scurvy away. 

It's a truth universally acknowledged that rutabaga is an acquired taste. I, personally, have not acquired the taste yet. Nevertheless, my family still always has rutabaga on Thanksgiving. 

The rutabaga saga starts in the grocery store. Since it's nearly impossible to find, and most stores don't carry rutabaga, someone inevitably has to ask the produce manager where they keep the rutabaga. The exchange goes something like this:

Family member: Excuse me, do you carry rutabaga?
Produce manager: Ruta-what?
FM: Rutabaga.
PM: Ruta-what?
FM: Rutabaga.
PM: (silence)
FM: You know, it's big and ugly and kind of purple.
PM: I'm going to have to ask someone else. 

This goes on until some employee is able to locate the rutabaga. 

We go home and eventually cook the rutabaga. After some combination of chopping, mashing, and baking, it ends up looking like this: 

from sassyradish.com
Then comes the part where my family has to explain it to the guests. It starts with an apologetic, "Don't feel obligated to take any," and is followed by an explanation of how weird it is. The guests inevitably take a very dainty scoop, although there have been a few guests who have actually taken seconds.

Despite the awkwardness surrounding this strange vegetable, rutabaga is a Thanksgiving tradition. So happy Thanksgiving, and enjoy your rutabaga!

8 comments:

  1. Haha I like the way you describe the interactions between your family and grocery store workers. To be honest, I didn't know what rutabaga looked like either until I saw the picture at the top of this post. What other vegetables would you compare its taste to? Maybe I'll be daring enough to try cooking it one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really impossible to describe the taste...I guess if I had to I would say it was like really bland carrots. My sister says that it tastes awkward.

      Delete
  2. I've never actually tried a rutabaga, but I'm intrigued. I tend to love root vegetables, so maybe I'd like it.

    Also, pecan vs. pumpkin is a nearly impossible choice for me! But I forced myself to choose. While I love both, pecan is just a little more luscious, while pumpkin is somewhat more everyday (albeit beloved). So I went for pecan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To be honest with you Petra, I've never heard of rutabaga. I love vegetables but I haven't heard of this one. It's funny how you talk about the strangeness of the vegetable on the dinner table with guests around, as if the rutabaga is making them feel uncomfortable. I'll make sure to look for this fruit the next time I go to the grocery store!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I've heard of rutabaga before, but never thought of trying it. Reading this post makes me want to try it now, as part of our trying new foods thing in English. How do you guys usually eat it? Do you boil it and mash it like a potato? A recipe would be great, if you could provide it. How does it taste, sweet or salty, or some other way?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lot like mashed potatoes. We peel it (which is a pain because the store covers them in wax and then you get wax all over), slice it and boil it. Then we put it in the mixer and mash it, and then we bake it. It's more sweet than salty, but it's kind of pungent too. We add nutmeg, so there's a bit of that flavor. I added a recipe into the post!

      Delete
  5. I've never seen a rutabaga so this first experience doesn't seem to promising. That thing is just so... strange looking. By no means am I saying that it must taste strange but gosh, it's like a giant, purple-y, glob of doom. The second picture seems more appetizing so maybe I'll try it someday

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard of rutabagas before but have never explored the possibilities :) And I've had sooo many similar experiences with the produce manager thing. My mom's friend recommended that she try pomelos, which are giant, green, grapefruit-like fruits, and she's obsessed with them now. Every time we buy them we get weird looks from the cashier or a, "What is this???"

    I agree with David, I'm not all into turnip-looking thingies but the second picture makes me want to reconsider.

    --Julia

    ReplyDelete