Thursday, October 4, 2012

The Joy of Bruschetta

When I take a bite of bruschetta, that delicious combination of all things good (including garlic and basil), I imagine myself sitting on a lovely balcony in Italy, overlooking my vineyard and the deep blue Mediterranean Sea, sipping a glass of wine. Oh wait, scratch the wine part. Sipping a glass of grape juice. The combination of flavors transports me to an amazing place and time, and I forget everything bad that happened that day.

I actually didn't try bruschetta until this summer, when my dad bought three huge bushes of basil that we had to use up before fall. It was love at first bite, though, so I decided that the recipe was good enough to share. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

Bruschetta:

Ingredients:
Baguette, cut crossways and then into slices
Fresh Mozzarella cheese
One and a half tomatoes
Fresh basil
Olive oil
Balsamic vinegar
One clove of garlic










1. Toast the bread, but not too much. It should be warm but still soft.




2. While the bread is toasting, slice the cheese and tomatoes into circles and wash the basil.








3. Peel the clove of garlic* and rub it on the bread.






4. Pour some olive oil into a dish and drizzle it on the garlic-y bread with a spoon.






5. Layer the cheese, tomato, and basil on the bread in that order.








6. Place a drip of balsamic vinegar on top of the bruschetta.







7. Serve with a vegetable, like corn.



Then you have some lovely burschetta!








*A foodie related side note: my parents got this nifty little tool for Christmas. You simply put the clove of garlic inside and roll it around on the counter. Then, voila, you have a nicely peeled garlic clove. It may seem a bit unnecessary, but it does save your fingers from smelling like garlic for the rest of the day.

2 comments:

  1. What a nice, simple recipe! I suddenly have the urge to go and make some delicious bruschetta... I really love reading the posts on your blog, as I am a foodie, too. Your expertise in food really shows in your writing. Wow, I did not know that there's a tool just for peeling garlic cloves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Garlic clove peeler? Who would have ever thought such a thing existed? That just makes you look more like a real chef, without the smell of garlic on your hands! This bruschetta looks so easy to make that I think I'm going to try it soon. Not only does it look easy, but it's also healthy!

    ReplyDelete